This post is also available in Spanish
I am a die-hard soup fan and it’s one of my absolute favorite meals during the fall and winter seasons. This Rice and Beans soup was a staple at my grandmother’s house when I was a kid. Mamita made the most amazing food!
I love how this soup is both incredibly easy to make yet so satisfying. On a cold day, there is nothing better than sinking into a big bowl of thick and flavorful Bean and Rice Soup topped with avocado and ají. This soup shouts comfort in every spoonful. It is a dish that I’ve loved since I was a child and I still can’t get enough of it!
- 1/2 pound dried canary beans, soaked overnight
- 1 cup aliños sauce (see recipe here)
- 8 cups of beef or vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup uncooked rice, rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 cup of hogao or creole sauce (see recipe here)
- Salt and pepper to your taste
- Fresh cilantro
- Cooked chorizo for serving (optional)
- Pick through the beans and discard any debris.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the beans, broth, aliños sauce and carrots. Slightly cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- Add the ground cumin, hogao, rice and cilantro. Simmer for 30 minutes more or until the beans are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...