I was in the mood for soup, so I made this broccoli and cheese soup for lunch yesterday. Not what I would call a traditional weekend lunch in my house, but it was delicious. It is also simple and easy to make. I hope you enjoy it too.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ cup diced onion
- 1 pound broccoli florets
- 4 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese
- In a medium pot over medium-high heat add the olive oil and onion. Cook for 5 minutes, stirring often. Add the broccoli florets and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth, cream, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth. Transfer back to the pot and add the cheese. Stir to combine and cook for about 5 more minutes. Adjust the seasoning and serve warm.