This post is also available in Spanish
You know those meals that remind you of your childhood and make you feel at home, no matter where you are? This Chicken and Vegetable Stew is one of those recipes for me! My mom made it at least once a week when I was a child growing up in Colombia. This recipe still elicits comforting memories and of course, it tastes great!
I made this Chicken and Vegetable Stew last week and it was delicious, just like I remembered. In this family-friendly Colombian dish, small pieces of chicken breasts are cooked in a flavorful sauce with vegetables. You can have it on the table in about 30 minutes or in the time it takes to make the white rice, with which to serve it. The cooking method ensures that the chicken comes out reliably tender every time!
My mom always served it with a big scoop of white rice that soaked up all the delicious sauce, with an avocado on the side. This Chicken and Vegetable Stew is simple, comforting and one of my favorites.
- 1-1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into pieces
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon achiote powder or color
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 scallions, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 pound of yuca, peeled and cut into small chunks
- 1/2 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup green beans cut into bite size
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sprinkle the chicken evenly with salt, pepper, achiote and cumin powder.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over high heat. Add the onions and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 3 minutes. Stir in the scallions and garlic and cook for about one minute more.
- Add the chicken, potatoes, yuca and broth, bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium and cook, about 20 minutes.
- Add the peas, green beans and carrots to the pan, turn the heat down to medium-low and cook until the chicken and vegetables are cooked, about 10 minutes more. Add fresh cilantro and season with salt and pepper if desired.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...