This post is also available in Spanish
Sopa de Arroz con Carne en Polvo is a traditional soup served in Colombian homes. It’s a very popular soup in the Andean region where I was born and raised. Carne en Polvo literally translates as Powdered Beef. As a side dish it can be a bit bland if you it eat alone, but it’s great when it’s served with other dishes like our famous Bandeja Paisa or with this sopa de arroz.
I can’t remember a time when I didn’t eat Sopa de Arroz con Carne en Polvo. We’ve been eating it in my family since I was old enough to chew. Years later, when I see it or taste it, it makes me feel warm and cozy inside. It really epitomizes the notion that food doesn’t always have to be fancy or made to impress, but can simply make people feel comfortable.
This soup is warm, comforting, and in my opinion, it’s the perfect winter meal. I served my Sopa de Arroz con Carne en Polvo with avocado, hogao, banana, lime wedges and aji on the side, like my grandmother and mother served it before me.
If you are looking for a traditional, simple and delicious Colombian soup to warm you and your family, try this one, you will not be disappointed! This rice soup is the ultimate in comfort… full, hearty, and paired with the carne en polvo, totally deserving of being a complete meal. I loved it!
Have an amazing Christmas and thanks so much for taking the time to stop by My Colombian Recipes.
- ¾ cup rice, uncooked
- 1 cup of aliños sauce (see recipe here)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground achiote or seasoning with color
- 8 cups chicken or beef broth
- 2 potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 1 cup peas, fresh or frozen
- 1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup of hogao sauce (see recipe here)
- Carne en polvo (see recipe here)
For the soup
- Place all the soup ingredients in a medium pot. Bring to a boil and reduce the heat to medium cook for about 35 minutes, stirring occasionally or until both the peas and carrots are tender.
- Add more chopped cilantro and serve in a bowl with hogao, carne en polvo, avocado and ají.