This post is also available in Spanish
Some foods pick me up and comfort when I am feeling down, which is precisely what Colombian soups do for me. They illicit childhood memories and keep me connected to my heritage. This simple Sopa de Fideos y Albóndigas was another staple in my house growing up.
If you are craving a satisfying, wholesome, comfort-food for lunch or dinner, look no further than this Spaghetti and Meatballs Soup. Sprinkled with fresh cilantro, this is a meal-in-a-bowl that cultivates happiness.
(4 to 6 servings))
- ½ pound ground pork
- ½ pound ground beef
- 6 tablespoons aliños
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup cornmeal or masarepa
- ¼ warm water
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 cup of aliños sauce (recipe here)
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/4 cup peas
- 1/4 cup green beans cut into small pieces
- 1/4 cup of corn kernels
- 8 cups of water or more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 pound spaghetti, cooked until al dente and drained
- Salt and ground pepper, to taste
- Fresh cilantro for serving
- In a large bowl, combine the beef, pork, egg, aliños, salt, cornmeal and water. Knead with your hands until well mixed.
- Shape the mixture into 12 small meatballs, set them on a plate.
- In a large pot over medium heat, place the aliños, carrots, peas, green beans, water and cumin. Bring to boil and reduce heat to simmer.
- Add the meatballs to the broth, one at a time. Cover and let cook for 35 to 40 minutes over medium heat.
- Add the cooked pasta and season with salt and pepper. Sprinkle fresh cilantro and serve immediately.
Like this recipe? Please say thanks by sharing it...