Canary Bean Soup (Sopa de Frijoles Canarios)
- 1 pound canary beans soaked overnight
- 2 pounds pork ribs cut into pieces
- 14 cups water
- 2 cups grated carrots
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup onion chopped
- ¼ cup red bell pepper chopped
- ¼ cup green pepper chopped
- 1 scallion chopped
- ½ tablespoon sazon Goya with azafran
- 1 large potato peeled and diced
- 1 chicken bouillon tablet
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
Pick through the beans and discard any debris. In a food processor, add garlic, onion, red bell pepper, green pepper and scallion.
In a large pot over medium heat, add the beans, water, processed vegetables, chicken bouillon, carrots and pork ribs. Slightly cover and simmer for 1 ½ hour.
Add the ground cumin, sazon Goya, cilantro and potatoes. Simmer for 30 to 40 minutes more or until the beans are tender.
Season with salt and pepper. Serve with white rice and hogao on the side.
Calories: 429kcalCarbohydrates: 26gProtein: 24gFat: 26gSaturated Fat: 8gPolyunsaturated Fat: 4gMonounsaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 85mgSodium: 147mgPotassium: 782mgFiber: 9gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 7463IUVitamin C: 18mgCalcium: 92mgIron: 3mg