- 2 cans 15 oz red beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 cans 15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can 15 oz pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- ½ tablespoon chipotle pepper in adobo
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 2 cups water
- 3 cups tomato purée
- ½ tablespoon brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
Put one can of the black beans in a food processor with the chipotle and adobo. Process until smooth and set aside.
Heat the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes. Then add the red bell pepper, garlic and carrots and cook for about 3 more minutes.
Reduce the heat to medium. Add the cumin, chili powder and oregano and cook for 30 seconds. Add all the beans, brown sugar and the tomato purée. Cook for 5 minutes.
Add the salt, pepper and water. Cook for 15 minutes more, stirring occasionally. Add the fresh cilantro and serve.
Calories: 228kcalCarbohydrates: 28gProtein: 5gFat: 13gSaturated Fat: 2gPolyunsaturated Fat: 2gMonounsaturated Fat: 9gSodium: 145mgPotassium: 1127mgFiber: 7gSugar: 14gVitamin A: 7778IUVitamin C: 49mgCalcium: 86mgIron: 5mg