This potato and meat pie is a wonderful and comforting meal.This dish is made with ground meat, potatoes, hard boiled eggs, spices and vegetables.
Molde de Papa y Carne (Colombian-Style Potato and Meat Pie)
- ½ pound ground pork
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ⅓ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 scallion finely chopped
- ½ cup peas
- ½ cup carrots
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ⅓ cup beef broth
- ½ teaspoon color or achiote
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro
- 2 pounds of potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup milk
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- salt and pepper
- 3 hard boiled eggs sliced
- Place in a medium saucepan and cover with cold water. Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil. Once boiling, uncover, decrease the heat to maintain a simmer and cook until tender. About 15 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes in a colander and then return to the saucepan. Mash the potatoes and then add the milk, butter, paprika, salt and pepper and continue to mash until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- While the potatoes are cooking, prepare the filling. Place the oil and butter into a saute pan and set over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and carrots and saute just until they begin to take on color, approximately 3 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic, scallion, red bell pepper and stir to combine.
- Add the beef, pork, cumin, color, salt and pepper and cook until browned and cooked through, approximately 3 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, beef broth, cilantro and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer slowly 10 to 12 minutes or until the sauce is thickened slightly.
- Add peas to the meat mixture and spread evenly into a baking dish or individual ramekins. Top with sliced boiled egg and the mashed potatoes, smooth with a rubber spatula.
- Place on a baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven and bake for 25 minutes or just until the potatoes begin to brown. Remove to a cooling rack for at least 15 minutes before serving.
Last week I made one of my favorite comfort foods, Molde de Papa y Carne (potato and meat pie). It's similar to Sheperd's Pie. I make this dish often during the winter, but for some reason, I haven't shared it with you yet. Well, today is the last day of Winter, so here it is, this delicious and comforting dish that my grandmother used to make and I've always loved.
When I want something simple to make and satisfying, this potato and meat pie always does the trick. I like to serve this meat pie with a simple side salad on the side.
Here is the Colombian version of Sheperd's Pie. Enjoy it!
More recipes to make with ground meat: