Sudado de Carne de Res is a traditional Colombian beef stew. This Beef stew is the perfect one pot meal served with white rice and avocado on the side.
What is a Colombian Sudado?
Is a stew made with beef, chicken, pork, seafood or meatballs simmered in a flavorful broth with potatoes, yuca, spices, fresh herbs and vegetables like bell pepper, carrots, garlic and onions. There are many variations in Colombia and different recipes depending in the region and the cook. I think every Colombian home makes a sudado dish a least once a week.
This Sudado de Carne Res variation is very popular, easy to make and delicious over white rice with avocado on the side.
Ingredients to make this Beef Sudado
Beef for stew, vegetable oil, onion, red bell pepper, garlic clove, tomato, cumin powder, fresh cilantro, salt, pepper, potatoes, yuca and beef broth. You will find the exact amounts, preparation and tips to make this dish in the recipe card below.
Colombian Beef Stew (Sudado de Res)
- 2 pounds beef for stew (beef chuck)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 1 scallion, chopped
- ½ cup chopped red bell pepper
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 2 cups chopped tomato
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon sazón with color (I used Goya)
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 8 small yellow potatoes peeled and cut in half
- ½ pound frozen or fresh yuca cassava
- 3 cups beef broth
- In a large pot, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat. Add the onion and red pepper and sautué until onions are translucent, about 3 minutes. Then add the tomatoes, garlic, salt and ground pepper and sauté for 5 more minutes.
- Add the beef, broth, sazón and cumin powder. Reduce the heat to medium low cover and cook for 45 to 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the potatoes, yuca and cilantro and cook for an additional 30 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add more broth or water if the stew is getting to dry.
- Serve over white rice.
This Sudado de Carne Colombiano is a very comforting and filling dish and it is perfect for weeknight dinners.
More Colombian stew recipes to try: