I'm not sure I would consider this Ripe Plantains Stuffed with Chorizo and Cheese a full meal, but at the very least, this is one of my absolute favorite snacks. I'll eat almost anything made with ripe plantain!
Ripe Plantains Stuffed with Chorizo and Cheese
- 4 whole ripe plantains, peeled
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1 ½ cups grated mozzarella cheese
- 3 fresh Colombian or Mexican chorizos, casings removed, crumbled
- Pre-heat the oven to 400 F. Made a lengthwise slit in the center of each plantain.
- Place them on a baking sheet and rub them with the melted butter.
- Bake the plantains for about 40 minutes.
- While the plantains are baking, cook the crumbled chorizo in a pan until crispy. Transfer to a plate lined with a paper towel to drain the grease.
- Remove the plantains from the oven and stuff them with chorizo and cheese.
I love the classic and traditional Colombian side of Plantain Stuffed with Cheese, and I am always trying new variations of it by stuffing the plantains with different ingredients. This recipe uses the same base ingredients, plantains and cheese, with the addition of flavorful chorizo, which makes for a really delicious plantain dish!
Add a nice green salad and this meal is the perfect way to enjoy a relaxing lunch. I love the slight spiciness the chorizo adds to the ripe plantains, while the warm melted cheese on top brings together amazing textures and fantastic flavors. I served them with a creamy avocado yogurt sauce. Absolutely awesome!