This Colombian-Style Lentil Soup is filling, comforting and full of flavor. I like to serve it with with white rice and avocado on the side.
This Colombian Style Lentil Soup is a standard in a lot of Colombian kitchens, the Colombian chorizo sausage gives the soup extra flavor. But if you are looking for a healthier lentil soup recipe just omit the chorizo.
This is a very substantial soup that would make a comforting meal-in-a-bowl served with avocado and white rice. This lentil soup recipe is very easy to make, a wonderful weeknight meal.
What You'll Need to Make this Recipe
This soup is made with lentils, potatoes, vegetables, spices, herbs and Colombian chorizo, but you can omit it if you don't like it or find it and add beef, bacon or pork instead.
Also if you want to make this recipe with a different kind of chorizo. Try kielbasa, Mexican chorizo or Italian sausage, they will work here too (hot or mild).
I also added a cream mixture recipe below in case you want to drizzled it on top of your lentil soup before serving, but that is optional and not the traditional way to serve this soup in Colombia.
To store this lentil soup, place leftover soup in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3 days. If you want to freeze it, store soup in an container in the freezer for up to 1 month. Be sure the container is freezer friendly. When you are ready to use it thaw overnight in the fridge or before reheating.
To reheat the soup, place the soup in a pot on the stove over medium-low heat until warm or reheat it the microwave.
If you love lentils recipes like I do, here are some of my favorites:
Lentils Soup Recipe
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 cup chorizo sliced
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- ½ cup chopped tomatoes
- ¼ teaspoon cumin
- 5 cups water
- 1 ½ cup dried lentils
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- ½ cup grated carrots
- ½ cup potato cut into bite-sized pieces
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Cook the chorizo in the oil in a large pot over medium heat, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the chorizo to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Add the carrots, onion, garlic, tomato and scallions to the pot, season with salt and pepper. Cook stirring occasionally about 12 minutes. Stir in the cumin and cook 1 more minute.
- Add the lentils and water, bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to medium low, cover and cook until the lentils become tender but not mushy about 45 minutes.
- Add chorizo and potatoes, cook for 15 to 20 minutes until the potatoes are fully cooked and fork tender, thin with water if necessary. Ladle into soup bowls and top with cream if using and serve immediately.
- If you are adding cream to the lentil soup. Mix all the ingredients for the cream and set aside. Drizzle the soup with it before serving.