This post is also available in Spanish
Arroz con Lentejas y Coco is a traditional Colombian rice recipe and if you follow this blog, you know that I use coconut milk in a lot of the traditional Colombian dishes. This delicious rice with lentils dish makes a fabulous accompaniment and could also be served as a vegetarian meal, perhaps with a green salad.
- ½ cup lentils
- 1 cup rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 cups water
- Fresh cilantro for serving
- Rinsed and soak the lentils for 30 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pot. Add the onions and cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Add the lentils, bay leaf, salt and water. Cover and cook over medium heat for about 30-40 minutes or until the lentils are cooked and the water is absorbed.
- Discard the bay leaf, add the rice and stir until combined. Add the coconut milk and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low, cover the pot and let it simmer over low heat for 20 minutes. Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve.