Arroz con Queso y Pimentón (Green Pepper and Cheese Rice)
- ½ cup grated onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 cup green bell pepper diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 3 cups water
- 2 cups long-grain rice
- 1 ½ cups of grated queso blanco or mozarrella cheese
- Heat the oil and butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add onion, green pepper and garlic cook, stirring, until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, salt and stir quickly until it is well-coated about 1 minute.
- Add the water and bring to a boil over high heat, reduce the heat to low, stir once, and simmer, covered tightly, for 20 minutes. Add the cheese.
- Turn off the heat and allow the rice to sit covered for 7 minutes. Fluff with a fork, and serve warm.
Arroz con Queso y Pimentón is a traditional Colombian side dish from the Sucre department of Colombia, located in the Caribbean region of the country. It is usually served with traditional Colombian seafood dishes.
I think rice is one of the most versatile and simple side dishes you can make when you're in a hurry. You don’t need much, you can use veggies, herbs, or pretty much anything you have in your fridge. This Green Pepper and Cheese Rice is a perfect side dish for a party or a last minute side for the family.