How to make the best Arroz con Pollo. Every country and family in Latin America has its own classic recipe and way to make it. This is my Colombian version of rice with chicken, a hearty one pot meal perfect for lunch or dinner.
Colombian-Style Arroz con Pollo was one of my favorite dishes growing up. My mom would make it at least once a week for lunch. Rice with chicken is one of the most popular dishes in Colombia and Latin America, but every country has their own variation. This is my mom’s easy Arroz con Pollo Colombiano recipe. The best part of cooking arroz con pollo are the leftovers, this dish reheats well and you can keep it in the fridge for a couple of days in an air tight glass or plastic container.I love serving this Colombian dish with my simple green salad or this avocado and tomato salad.
This Authentic Colombian-Style Rice with Chicken recipe is easy to make and a wonderful one-pan meal and it's perfect for any celebration or a weeknight meal or lunch.
Chicken and Rice (Arroz con Pollo)
To make the stock
- 2 whole chicken breast bone in and skin removed
- 2 scallions
- ½ white onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ tablespoon sazon Goya with azafran
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and Pepper
To make the Rice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- ¼ cup chopped red bell pepper
- ¼ cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup long- grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 chicken bouillon tablet
- 2 ½ cups chicken stock
- ½ tablespoon sazon goya with azafran
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup frozen peas
- ½ cup frozen diced carrots
- ½ cup frozen diced green beans
To make the chicken stock
- Place the chicken breast, 5 cups of water and the remaining ingredients for the stock in a medium pot. Bring to a boil, cover and reduce the heat to medium low. Cook for 20 to 25 minutes. Turn the heat off and let the chicken rest in the pot for about 15 minutes covered. Let it cool, shred and set aside. Strain stock and measure 2 ½ cups and set aside.
- In a medium pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions, green peppers, garlic and red bell pepper. Cook until the onions are translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the rice, tomato paste, chicken bouillon and sazon goya. Stir until the rice is well coated about 3 minutes. Add the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Then reduce the heat to low. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Add the peas, carrots and green beans and cook for and additional 7 minutes, add the shredded chicken and cilantro, mix well with a fork, cover and cook for 5 minutes more.
Other traditional Colombian dishes you may want to try: Empanadas Colombianas (Colombian Empanadas), Sancocho de Gallina (Chicken Sancocho), Ajiaco Bogotano (Chichen and Potato Soup), Bandeja Paisa (Paisa Tray), Pandebono (Cheese Bread), Buñuelos (Cheese Balls) and Arepas Rellenas de Queso.