Arepa Rellena con Queso is a popular dish in Colombia and Venezuela. This is a Colombian-Style Cheese Stuffed Arepa recipe. It's very easy to make and delicious.
What is an Arepa?
It is one of he most popular foods in Colombia and Venezuela. There are many variations of this dish in Colombia. They are basically patties made with precooked corn flour. They can be filled or topped with different ingredients and can be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
These cheese stuffed arepas are very easy to make and the recipe doesn't require a lot of ingredients. They are rich, cheesy and absolutely delicious. You can eat them alone or served with huevos pericos on the side.
Ingredients to Make Arepas de Queso
You'll find the printable recipe card with exact amounts, cooking directions and step by step cooking video below.
Pre-cooked Corn Flour: To make arepas you must use masarepa or pre-cooked corn flour, some brands are P.A.N. and Goya. Some regular grocery stores sell it on the international food aisle. You can also find it in Latino markets or online.
Salt: To flavor the dough.
Water: Use lukewarm water to make arepas.
Butter: To make the dough and to cook the arepas.
Cheese: I recommend using whole milk mozzarella cheese.
How to Store Arepas
You can store them in the refrigerator for up to 7 days in a ziploc bag or in an airtight container.
If you want to freeze them, let the arepas cool completely and wrap them well with plastic wrap. Then place inside a freezer ziploc bag and freeze them for up to 3 months.
Cheese Stuffed Corn Cakes Recipe (Arepas Rellenas de Queso)
- 2 cups pre cooked corn meal masarepa
- 2 cups warm water
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon soft butter divided
- 12 slices mozzarella cheese
- In a medium bowl mix the masarepa, water, salt and butter. Knead with your hands for about 3 minutes moistening your hands with water as you work.
- Form 6 small balls with the dough. Place each ball between 2 plastic bags or parchment paper and with a flat pot cover flatten to about ⅓ inch. The arepas should be about 5” in diameter.
- Add the butter to a nonstick pan over medium heat. Place the arepas in the pan, and cook about 3 minutes on each side, until a crust forms or until they are golden brown.
- Split the arepas using a knife as you would do with an English muffin and stuff wit 2 slices of mozzarella cheese.
- Place the stuffed arepas back on the skillet over medium high heat and cook 2 minutes on each side or until the cheese is melted and serve immediately.