Huevos Pericos is a traditional Colombian breakfast also popular in Venezuela. These scrambled eggs are made with tomatoes and scallions. This dish is delicious served with arepa and coffee or hot chocolate.
Huevos Pericos is a quick and easy scrambled eggs recipe and one of the most popular breakfast dishes in Colombia. This egg dish is usually served with bread or arepa, cheese and hot chocolate.
To make this scrambled eggs recipe, you’ll just need 5 ingredients: Eggs, oil, scallions, tomatoes and salt. I like to use fresh organic and cage free eggs to make the perfect scrambled eggs. If you use good eggs for this recipe the huevos pericos will have more flavor. I also use olive oil to cook them, but you can use vegetable, canola oil or butter if you prefer.
Huevos Pericos (Scrambled Eggs with Tomato and Scallions)
- 8 eggs
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped scallions
- Salt to taste
- In a medium non-stick skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the tomatoes and scallions and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl beat the eggs and salt. Pour the eggs in the skillet with the tomato mixture and cook over medium heat, without stirring, until mixture begins to set.
- Stir twice or until the eggs mix with the tomato and scallions and cook about 2 minutes or until the eggs are the consistency you like.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve with arepa or toast.
My mom makes the best huevos revueltos con tomate y cebolla. When I was a child she had to make them for me in a separate pan because I didn’t eat scallions. Sometimes she would try to fool me and make the eggs and scallions together then take the scallions out of the eggs and told me that she made them in separate pan. But I always knew when she tricked me. Growing up I was a nightmare with food.
Be sure to watch my video below to learn how to make the best scrambled eggs recipe. Buen provecho!
More unique and delicious eggs recipes that you may want to try for your next breakfast: