What are Huevos Pericos?
It is a quick and easy scrambled eggs with tomatoes and onions recipe. This is one of the most popular breakfast dishes in Colombia and Venezuela. It's hearty, healthy, and a delicious dish to start the day.
In Venezuela this dish is called "Perico" and some cooks like to add onions instead of scallions to their eggs.
What Do You Need to Make this Dish
You will find the printable recipe card with exact ingredients amounts, directions, cooking tips and step by step video below. This recipe serves four, but feel free to double it.
Eggs: I like to use fresh organic and cage free eggs to make the perfect scrambled eggs. If you use good eggs for this recipe the huevos pericos will have more flavor.
Oil: I like to use olive oil to cook them, but you can use vegetable, canola oil or butter if you prefer.
Vegetables: You need scallions and tomatoes. I always use organic vegetables.
Salt: Add it to your own taste and black pepper can also be a good ingredient to add if you want more flavor.
Huevos Pericos Recipe (Scrambled Eggs with Tomato and Scallions)
- 8 eggs
- 2 medium tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped scallions
- Salt to taste
- In a medium non-stick skillet heat the oil over medium heat. Add the tomatoes and scallions and cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl beat the eggs and salt. Pour the eggs in the skillet with the tomato mixture and cook over medium heat, without stirring, until mixture begins to set.
- Stir twice or until the eggs mix with the tomato and scallions and cook about 2 minutes or until the eggs are the consistency you like.
- Transfer to a serving plate and serve with arepa or toast.
My mom makes the best huevos revueltos con tomate y cebolla. When I was a child she had to make them for me in a separate pan because I didn’t eat scallions.
Sometimes she would try to fool me and make the eggs and scallions together then take the scallions out of the eggs and told me that she made them in separate pan. But I always knew when she tricked me. Growing up I was a nightmare with food.
What to Serve with Huevos Pericos
These scrambled eggs are usually served for breakfast with bread or arepa, cheese and hot chocolate, but I also love making them for a quick lunch or dinner over white rice with avocado slices or served with a traditional Colombian Calentado.
This easy Colombian breakfast recipe is worth getting out of bed for. You will have it ready in less than 20 minutes with just 5 simple ingredients. This is one of my favorite ways to make eggs!