Arepas are a popular dish in Antioquia. They are very versatile, you can top them with almost anything and you can also serve them at any time of the day. Arepas are definitely my favorite Colombian dish.
Arepas with Chicken and Avocado (Arepas con Pollo y Aguacate)
- 4-5 inch round arepas
- 2 small avocados
- 4 chicken breast bone-in, skin on
- Olive oil
- Fresh ground pepper
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 4 tablespoons lime juice
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 4 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Make round arepas, 4-5 inches in diameter, cover them with foil and set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Place the chicken breast, skin side up on a baking sheet and brush them with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast for 40 minutes or until the chicken is cooked trough. Set aside until cool.
- When the chicken is cool, remove the meat and discard the bones and the skin, shred the chicken meat.
- In a medium bowl mix together the mayonnaise, cilantro, lime juice, sugar, chopped onions, cumin powder, salt and pepper. Add the chicken and toss well.
- Peel and slice the avocados, drizzle with lime juice and sprinkle with salt and pepper. To assemble, top each arepa with chicken mixture and top with the avocado slices and serve.
Have you Tried this Recipe? Tag me Today!Mention @mycolombianrecipes and tag #mycolombianrecipes!
This Arepa con Pollo y Aguacate can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
I love arepas! Simplemente Deliciosas.
I love arepas and avocado--I make an avocado sauce for fruit which is delicious too. YUM!
Well I prefer to open the arepas and filled them either with chicken or cheese. I make mine with "pollo desmenuzado en salsa", avocado and cheese. I am not to crazy about mayonaisse. I do think chicken with onions and tomatos is healthier. Anyway yours look delicious!
We love our arepas with cheese and eggs (soft fried but thoroughly cooked)and I make a chow chow with finely chopped carrots, green mango, onions, garlic, cayenne pepper and salt to top it of. I have never had a negative when I serve to friends and family.
I made these arepas with chicken today and we loved them. Thanks so much for the recipes.
This is a quick and absolutely fantastic lunch! I added a bit more cumin and went easy on the lime juice (3 tbs). Thank you!
Just made these for dinner and my caleño loved them! Thanks for sharing! :0)
i think that if i could choose any filling in the world for arepas, it'd be this! delicious!