This is the best arroz con leche or rice pudding recipe. Creamy, sweet and easy to make this recipe is my all time favor dessert and holiday classic in my family!
Arroz con Leche is one of my favorite Colombian desserts. This Colombian-Style Rice Pudding version is sweet, creamy and delicious. There are different variations of arroz con leche in Latin America, this is my family recipe and it is very easy to make.
The rice pudding will thicken more as it cools, so be careful not to overcook. I hope you enjoy making my simple and easy Arroz con Leche recipe!
Arroz con Leche Colombiano (Rice Pudding)
- 1 cup long-grain white rice washed
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups milk
- Pinch salt
- 2 tablespoon butter
- 1 ½ tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 12 oz can sweetened condensed milk
- In a small pot, add water and cinnamon sticks, bring to a boil and cook for 10 minutes. Set aside and discard cinnamon sticks.
- Place the rice and the cinnamon water in a large saucepan, over medium heat and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add salt, butter, vanilla extract, 2 cups of milk, and sugar. Stir well to mix and cook uncovered for approximately 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium low. Add the remaining milk and condensed milk. Stir with a wooden spoon. Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until the rice pudding thickens to desire consistency.
- Stir well and remove from heat, and let it cool at room temperature. The consistency should be very creamy. Refrigerate for a least 1 hour or overnight.