Esponjado de Café is a Colombian-Style Coffee Mousse. Creamy, sweet and delicious coffee flavor dessert perfect.
What is Esponjado?
This homemade coffee mousse recipe is easy to make and doesn't require a lot of ingredients. It’s the perfect quick sweet treat or dessert as it is rich and very easy to make from scratch.
Esponjados are usually made with egg whites, whipped cream, condensed milk and your choice of fruit. I love making esponjados for dinner parties particularly because make-ahead desserts are a lifesaver when you’re feeding a group. If you have a big group of coffee lovers coming over, definitely whip up this dessert!
Esponjado de Café Recipe (Colombian Coffee Mousse)
- 3 tablespoons of good quality instant coffee
- 1 can 14 oz condensed milk
- 5 tablespoons of water
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- Bring the water to a boil in a small pot then remove from heat. Mix 2 tablespoons of water with the coffee in a small bowl. Mix 3 tablespoons of water with the gelatin in another small bowl until the gelatin dissolves.
- Place the coffee mixture and condensed milk in a blender and blend for about 2 minutes. Add the dissolved gelatin to the blender and blend for 1 more minute.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer beat the heavy cream for about 3 minutes. Fold the whipped cream into the coffee mixture.
- Using an electric mixer beat the egg whites and sugar in a clean bowl until stiff.
- Add half of the egg whites to the mixture, gently folding to incorporate them. Don't overwork the mixture. Add the rest of the whites and fold the mixtures together.
- Spoon the mixture into individual serving glasses or bowls and refrigerate for about 5 hours or overnight. Serve with whipped cream and grated chocolate on top.
This Esponjado de Café ( Colombian Coffee Mousse) is light and airy and has the perfect mousse sweetness and texture. Once it is chilled, the esponjado sets up and can be piped as a frosting on cupcakes or cakes, can be used as a filling in pies or tarts, or eaten as is with a dollop of whipped cream and chocolate shavings or fruit.
Tips to Make this Coffee Mousse
When wrapping the the dessert to chill, make sure to press the plastic wrap directly onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming over the top of the mousse.
To make chocolate shavings for the topping, you can scrape a chocolate bar with a knife.
When whipping the egg whites, make sure there’s no water or liquid in the mixer as it’ll prevent the egg whites from forming peaks.
More Delicious Desserts to Try: