This Passion Fruit Mousse is creamy and delicious. This is the perfect dessert for a party.
Esponjados are traditional desserts in Colombia. There are a lot of variations including coffee, lulo, lime, lemon and orange.
Maracuya is a delicious exotic fruit from South America but it’s grown in many countries around the world such as India, Africa, Israel and the United States. I love the combo of tanginess from the passion fruit and sweetness from the condensed milk in this dessert. Use crumbled graham crackers or whipped cream as toppings.
Esponjado de Maracuya or Passion Fruit Recipe
- 1 ½ cup passion fruit puree
- 1 can 14 oz condensed milk
- ⅓ cup water
- 1 tablespoon unflavored gelatin
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup sugar
- 3 egg whites
- In a small pot add the water and gelatin. Over medium heat let it cook for about 2 minutes or until the gelatin dissolves.
- Place the passion fruit puree and condensed milk in a blender and blend for about 2 minutes. Add the dissolved gelatin to the blender and blend for 1 more minute.
- In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer beat the heavy cream for about 3 minutes. Fold the whipped cream into the passion fruit mixture.
- Using an electric mixer beat the egg whites and sugar in a clean bowl until stiff.
- Add half of the egg whites to the mixture, gently folding to incorporate them. Don’t overwork the mixture. Add the rest of the whites and fold the mixtures together.
- Spoon the mixture into individual serving glasses or bowls and refrigerate for about 5 hours or overnight. Serve with whipped cream or chopped graham crackers on top.
More Desserts to Try