Split Pea with Pork Soup (Sopa de Alverjita con Cerdo)
- ½ pound dried split peas
- 6 cups water
- 2 pounds pork neck bones or pork ribs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 scallion chopped
- ¼ cup red bell pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 large potato peeled and diced
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Avocado and extra cilantro for serving
- Place the peas in a pot, cover with water and soak overnight. Drain the peas and set aside.
- Place the onions, scallions, garlic and red bell pepper in a food processor. Set aside.
- Place the pork bones, water, onion mixture, split peas, salt and pepper in a pot, and cook over medium low-heat for about 20 minutes.
- Add the ground cumin, potatoes and cilantro. Cook for 30 minutes more or until the peas are tender. Add more water as needed if the soup becomes too thick.
- Season with salt and pepper. To serve, top with avocado and fresh cilantro.
I don't know why, but I've been craving comfort food lately. All I want to have is a delicious bowl of homemade soup!
This is my mom's Split Pea with Pork Soup (Sopa de Alverjita Seca y Cerdo), and it is one of my favorites!