This Crab and Coconut Soup is flavorful and easy to make. Perfect for every occasion.
This Sopa de Cangrejo is a popular dish on the Atlantic and Pacific coasts of Colombia and the San Andrés Island. Like many traditional Colombian recipes, there are many variations of this soup depending on the region and the cook. This crab and coconut soup is rich, hearty and has a wonderful flavor.
Winters in Medellín, Colombia are quite different than winters here in the Northeast United States. I was accustomed to no less than 60 degree temperatures during Colombian winters, so when I first experienced sub-zero temperatures, I realized this was the real winter I saw in the movies. The kind of weather that makes you want to curl up with a warm cup of soup, wool socks, a soft blanket, and a good book or movie.
Crab and Coconut Soup Recipe
- 1 pound king crab legs and claws
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 5 scallions chopped
- ½ red bell pepper chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 4 cups vegetable or fish broth
- 1 pound of yuca
- 2 cups coconut milk
- ½ teaspoon achiote powder or color
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 pound of crab meat
- Cook the crab legs in water for 10 minutes. While the crab legs are cooking, heat the oil over medium high heat in a medium pot. Add the scallions, red bell pepper and garlic. Cook for about 3 minutes or until tender. Remove the crab legs from the water and set aside until ready to serve.
- Add the broth and yuca let it cook for about 15 minutes then add the coconut milk, achiote powder, salt and pepper. Cook for about 10 minutes more or until the yuca is tender. Add the crabmeat and stir well to combine.
- Garnish with scallions and the crab legs and serve warm.
Soups are my favorite food during the winter season. I can eat them for breakfast, lunch and dinner. Luckily, Colombian cuisine offers a huge repertoire of soups just perfect for those cold New England winter days. Last week I made a wonderful and comforting Colombian crab soup that kept me warm on a very cold day.
More Soups to Enjoy
Sopa de Patacón (Fried Green Plantain Soup)
Sancocho de Pescado con Coco (Fish and Coconut Soup)
Great soup, here is my comment: OMG gorgeous pics of this soup which must taste amazing. how luxurious to make a crab soup. Pined!