Best Meatless Chili
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 green pepper finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper red pepper finely chopped
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can red beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can pink beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz can corn
- 1 15 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock or water
- 2 dried chili de Arbol or to your taste
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro plus more for garnish
- In a small pot over medium-low heat place ½ cup of water and dried chili. Cook for about 10 minutes. Drain chili and place in a blender with tomatoes and vegetable broth.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Add the onions and cook for about 3 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium and add the garlic, red and green pepper and cook for additional 2 minutes. Add the cumin, and cook for 30 seconds more.
- Add the beans and tomato-chili mixture to the pot and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Add the sugar, cilantro and tomato paste. Cook for 5 minutes more. If the chili is too thick, use some of the broth you set aside. Add salt and pepper to taste.
In this simple meatless chili recipe, I have combined different kinds of beans with onions, garlic, dried chili, tomatoes, corn, tomato paste, cumin, red and green peppers, with vegetable stock. This is all simmered until the vegetables are tender. The addition of the cream cheese, flavored with cumin, and the fresh cilantro on top are a wonderful and refreshing touch to this dish.
This chili also makes for a delicious hot dog topping.
I love that this has so many different kinds of beans!
Look absolutely nice Erica, besos gloria
Nice!! Hot dog topping - me likes!
I've never thought of using a chili like this as a hot dog topping...great idea!
You would never miss the meat in your chili. Looks awesome.
loving all your fab veggie dishes
I love when I see recipes like that with so much flavor, it's wonderful to be able to eat guilt free. Looks amazing Erica.
Wow! This chilli looks so good even without meat! Yummy!
5 Star Foodie
This chili sounds amazing with beans and corn, terrific flavors!
I love the idea of a meatless chili! Looks really delicious with all the veggies in there!
How delicious! I made a chili too yesterday, but with goat meat and lentils. Will try your version next time.
That is a fabulous thick chili, Erica. Chock full of chunky veggies! I've never seen one quite like it and it's right up my alley!
All those beans...so yummy...
This is a great recipe. I've made similar things in the past and loved it. I'm especially intrigued by your cumin flavored cream cheese which sounds quite elegant.
Erica, la felicito por su blog. Ya he preparado las recetas navideñas y la verdad, a mi familia les ha gustado mucho. Próximamente voy a organizar una fiesta colombiana en mi casa y voy a guiarme por su menú de "how to throw a Latin back yard party" Es excelente!. Quiero preguntarle para cuantas personas es esta receta? muchas gracias de antemano.
6 to 8 servings.