This green plantain chips soup is comforting, satisfying and full of flavor. If you’re looking for an easy hearty soup recipe, this sopa de moneditas de plátano will be your new favorite!
What are Moneditas de Plátano?
They are thinly sliced fried green plantain chips. You can buy them in bags at your local Latin market or make them at home, just follow my plantain chips recipe. This soup is made with beef, but you can use chicken if you prefer. The plantain chips chips are added at the end to thicken the soup base and give it a comforting and satisfying feeling with the perfect crunch.
This soup is loaded with flavorful beef, potatoes and seasoned with scallions, onions, garlic, cumin, and achiote. Top with crispy green plantain chips and fresh cilantro. You will want to make this soup often!
I like to serve my Sopa de Moneditas de Plátano (Plantain Chips Soup) fresh cilantro and avocado.
Plantain Chips Soup Recipe
- 10 cups beef broth
- 3 scallions, chopped
- ½ cup white onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 pounds beef cut into small pieces
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon color or achiote
- 3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 cups green plantain chips
- Chopped cilantro to garnish
- Place the water into a large pot, add the scallions, white onion, garlic, and beef. Season with cumin, color, salt and pepper to taste. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Then reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 30 minutes.
- Uncover and add the potatoes and cook for another 25 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Add the plantain chips and cilantro. Serve immediately.
More Soups Recipes