When the summer comes to an end and the weather begins to change, I start craving foods that keep me warm, like soups and stews. There is an incredible variety of stews and soups in Colombian cuisine that I just love!
One of the soups that I have been craving lately is my mom’s simple Sopa de Letras con Carne (Alphabet Soup). I grew up eating this soup, although as a child, I hated most soups. The only soup I ate without complaining was this Sopa de Letras. So, my mom made it at least once per week using different kind of meats.
If you have kids, I highly recommend this soup. It is easy to make and incredibly delicious. I used beef this time, but you could also use chicken, pork, or even tofu for a vegetarian version.
(4 to 6 servings)
- 1 pound of beef for stew, diced
- 8 cups water
- 1/2 cup aliños sauce
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup peas
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Achiote or color
- 1/2 cup dried alphabet pasta
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- Lime and avocado for serving
- Place the beef in a medium pot and add the water. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Add the rest of the ingredients, except the pasta and cilantro.
- Cook for about 45 minutes or until beef is completely tender. Add the pasta and cilantro to the soup. Cook for about 8 minutes more. Serve hot with lime and avocado on the side.