Soup season is here and I am celebrating with a simple soup that is very popular in Colombian homes. When I first made this soup a couple of months ago, I held back on posting it, being that it was the middle of summer. After all, who wants to eat l soup when it’s ninety degrees out?! Well, I do, but that’s beside the point, so I waited until fall was officially upon us.
Sopa de Arroz con Costilla (Pork Ribs and Rice Soup)
- 8 cups water
- ½ cup of aliños sauce recipe here
- 2 pounds pork ribs
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 cup peas
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup rice
- ½ teaspoon color or achiote
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Avocado for serving
- Place all the ingredients in a large pot, except the rice and cilantro. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for one hour.
- Add the rice and continue simmering for 15- 20 minutes more or until the rice and ribs are tender. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cilantro and serve.
There is nothing more soothing and comforting to me on a cold day than a bowl of warm soup. This Rice and Pork Ribs Soup is cozy, filling, rich and full of flavor!
The rice and vegetables makes this soup satisfying without being heavy. I love to serve it with avocado on the side and add a little lime juice for a zesty flavor! This Sopa de Arroz con Costilla is even better the next day, so be sure to make extra!