It's soup weather and I want to share one of my favorites, Sopa de Pollo y Plátano Verde (Chicken and Green Plantain Soup). It tastes delicious, it's well balanced, comforting and warming. I find the flavors perfect for this time of year.
Sopa de Pollo y Plátano Verde (Chicken and Green Plantain Soup)
- 2 large chicken breasts bone in
- About 10 cups of chicken stock or broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 cup of onion diced
- 6 scallions chopped
- ½ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup of corn kernels frozen or fresh
- 2 green plantains peeled and cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken in a large pot with the cumin, salt, pepper, and the water. Place the garlic, onions and scallions in a blender with ¼ cup of water and blend. Add this mixture to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add half of the cilantro, corn and plantains. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 30 minutes more or until the plantains are tender.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, de-bone it, breaking the meat into bite sized pieces, and return the meat to the soup. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve warm.
I first made this soup a couple of years ago when craving a Colombian chicken soup called sancocho de pollo. I didn’t have all the necessary ingredients in the house to make sancocho de pollo, so I made this Sopa de Pollo y Plátano Verde instead. While the soup alone is more than enough to satisfy my hunger, I usually serve it with avocado on the side.
If you're looking for a hearty and simple soup, that can also be made in advance and reheated just before serving, this one's for you.