Sopa de Frijoles Blancos con Albóndigas (White Beans and Meatball Soup)
- ½ pound ground pork
- ½ pound ground beef
- 1 cup aliños sauce
- Salt and pepper to your taste
- ½ warm water
- ½ cup masarepa or precooked cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 2 cups diced tomatoes
- ½ cup chopped scallions
- Salt and pepper to your tatse
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- ½ cup chopped cilantro plus more for serving
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups dried white beans
- 6 cups water or more if needed
- 2 peeled and sliced carrots
- 2 large potatoes peeled and diced
- Wash the beans and soak overnight in cold water.
- To make the meatballs: Place all the meatballs ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Form 8 meatballs and set aside.
- Drain the beans and place in a large pot and add the water. Over medium-high heat, bring the beans to a boil, then cover the pot and reduce the heat to medium-low. Add more water if needed. Add the meatballs and allow the beans to cook until almost tender, approximately 1 hour.
- When the beans are cooking, prepare the guiso. In a large skillet, heat the vegetable oil over medium heat, add the tomatoes, onions, scallions, salt, pepper, garlic, cilantro and ground cumin and cook for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add the guiso, carrots and potatoes. Cover and cook for another 30 minutes or until the beans are fully cooked. (Add additional water as necessary).
Calories: 925kcalCarbohydrates: 107gProtein: 49gFat: 35gSaturated Fat: 11gPolyunsaturated Fat: 8gMonounsaturated Fat: 13gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 81mgSodium: 412mgPotassium: 3032mgFiber: 22gSugar: 8gVitamin A: 5566IUVitamin C: 39mgCalcium: 406mgIron: 16mg
Have you Tried this Recipe? Tag me Today!Mention @mycolombianrecipes and tag #mycolombianrecipes!
Colombian cuisine consists of several bean recipes and every Colombian cook or mom has her or his own recipe for bean soups. This recipe for Sopa de Frijoles Blancos con Albóndigas is Mamita's, except for a few changes made by my mom. I grew up eating and loving this version of the soup and I want to share this recipe with you today.
I am under the weather and this soup looks oh so good, Erica.
Mmm - those meatballs say it all!!
making this for dinner tonight!!
This looks tasty. I often make meatball soup in winter but with lentils. I'm going to try your recipe since I prefer white beans over lentils.
Hi there this soup looks absolutely delish! My abuelita makes a soup very very similar but instead of beans she uses small pasta (fideos).
Thank you all for taking the time to read my post!
Just started dating a great Columbian fellow. Want to make him some Columbian food. Will start with this amazing soup. They say the way to a man's heart is through his stomach. Wish me luck.
Que cosa mas buena....
This soup is amazing everyone..you won;t be sorry
Another good recipe here.. Jamaicans have something called Stewed Peas.. This reminds me of it...Making me want to cook this now!
Hi Erica, I love all your recipes and have made many of them for my Colombian Wife. I need some help with the recipe for "SOPA DE FRIJOLES BLANCOS CON ALBÓNDIGAS (WHITE BEANS AND MEATBALL SOUP)" Your instructions are missing some steps and the amount of water is not clear.. The ingredients show cornmeal and aliuños sauce but there are no instructions on when to incorporate... Please Help:)
I just updated the recipe. Let me know if you have more questions.