In the United States, we think of hot soup as a winter dish, but in Colombia we eat soups all year round in every region of the country. We always welcome a good bowl of soup and this carrot soup is delicious and easy to make.
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
4 Large carrots, peeled and cut into small chunks
2 garlic cloves, minced
1/3 cup chopped onion
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 tablet chicken or vegetable bouillon
5 ½ cups water
1 large white potato, peeled and cut into small chunks
Salt and pepper
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onion and carrots and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the garlic and cumin and cook stirring for about 1 minute. Add the water, chicken or vegetable bouillon,potatoes, salt and pepper to your taste.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium low and cook until the vegetables are tender about 30 minutes.
- Add the cilantro and transfer the soup to a blender and pureé until smooth working in batches if necessary.
- Return the soup to the pot and cook over medium low heat, stirring once and season to taste.
- Laddle the soup into bowls and garnish with cilantro.