This Chicken and Potato Soup is hearty and comforting. It's very easy to make with simple ingredients.
What is Caldo de Pollo con Papa?
It is a simple soup popular in Colombian homes. Chicken and potatoes are simmered in a delicious broth flavored with garlic, onions, scallions and cumin. And it’s all about the garnish, my mom said. Always served with fresh leaves of cilantro, avocado, ají and lime juice.
When I was little and had a bad cold or a bad day, my mom would fix me a bowl of sopa de pollo. She said chicken soup will always make me feel better and it’s true. I still have chicken soup to this day when I don’t feel good and need comfort, the only difference being I now need to make it for myself!
Chicken and Potato Soup Recipe
- 2 large chicken breasts bone in
- 12 cups chicken stock More if need it
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 cup of onion diced
- 6 scallions chopped
- ½ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pound of potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken in a large pot with the cumin, salt, pepper, and the chicken stock. Place the garlic, onions and scallions in a blender with ¼ cup of water and blend. Add this mixture to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 25 minutes.
- Add half of the cilantro and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 15 to 20 minutes more or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, de-bone it, breaking the meat into bite sized pieces, and return the meat to the soup. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve warm.
This chicken and potato soup can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 3 days in a sealed container. If you don't like cilantro feel free to replace it with parsley.
More Chicken Soups to Try