When I was little and had a bad cold or a bad day, my mom would fix me a bowl of sopa de pollo. She said chicken soup will always make me feel better and it’s true. I still have chicken soup to this day when I don’t feel good and need comfort, the only difference being I now need to make it for myself!
Caldo de Pollo con Papa ( Chicken and Potato Soup)
- 2 large chicken breasts bone in
- 12 cups chicken stock More if need it
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 cup of onion diced
- 6 scallions chopped
- ½ cup of chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 pound of potatoes peeled and cut into chunks
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken in a large pot with the cumin, salt, pepper, and the chicken stock. Place the garlic, onions and scallions in a blender with ¼ cup of water and blend. Add this mixture to the pot.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Add half of the cilantro and potatoes. Season with salt and pepper and cook for about 30 minutes more or until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, de-bone it, breaking the meat into bite sized pieces, and return the meat to the soup. Sprinkle with chopped cilantro and serve warm.
Caldo de Pollo con Papa is a simple soup popular in Colombian homes. Chicken and potatoes are simmered in a delicious broth flavored with garlic, onions, scallions and cumin. And it’s all about the garnish, my mom said. Always served with fresh leaves of cilantro, avocado, ají and lime juice.