I am a die-hard soup fan and it’s one of my absolute favorite meals during the fall and winter seasons. This Rice and Beans soup was a staple at my grandmother's house when I was a kid. Mamita made the most amazing food!
Bean and Rice Soup (Sopa de Arroz y Frijoles)
- ½ pound dried canary beans soaked overnight
- 1 cup aliños sauce see recipe here
- 8 cups of beef or vegetable broth
- ½ cup uncooked rice rinsed and drained
- 2 medium carrots peeled and sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ cup of hogao or creole sauce see recipe here
- Salt and pepper to your taste
- Fresh cilantro
- Cooked chorizo for serving optional
- Pick through the beans and discard any debris.
- In a large pot over medium heat, add the beans, broth, aliños sauce and carrots. Slightly cover and simmer for 1 ½ hours.
- Add the ground cumin, hogao, rice and cilantro. Simmer for 30 minutes more or until the beans are tender.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve.
I love how this soup is both incredibly easy to make yet so satisfying. On a cold day, there is nothing better than sinking into a big bowl of thick and flavorful Bean and Rice Soup topped with avocado and ají. This soup shouts comfort in every spoonful. It is a dish that I’ve loved since I was a child and I still can’t get enough of it!