Arepas de Choclo Colombianas are made with sweet corn. This a traditional Colombian dish that you can find in fancy restaurants menus, is a popular street food and they are also made at home. They can be eaten as a snack or breakfast with butter and cheese.
Arepas de Choclo con Quesito (Colombian Corn Cakes with Fresh Cheese)
- 5 cups fresh corn kernels
- ½ teaspoon sugar
- Salt to taste
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter plus more as needed
- Queso fresco or white cheese to serve
- Place all the ingredients in a blender and blend until a thick batter is just formed.
- Melt the butter in a large cast iron skillet or griddle, over medium heat.
- Keeping the skillet at medium heat, ladle about ¼ cup of the batter onto the skillet, to make an arepa.
- Cook, until the undersides are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Flip with a spatula and cook about 2 minutes more on the second side.
- If you want to finish in the oven: Cook, until the undersides are golden brown, about 2 minutes. Place pan into oven and broil for 3 to 4 minutes, until lightly brown.
- Serve immediately or transfer to a platter and cover loosely with foil to keep warm. Repeat with the remaining batter, adding more butter to the skillet as needed. Serve with butter and white cheese on top.
Arepas de Choclo or Chócolo are absolutely my favorite arepas. I would eat them every day if I could. These traditional and popular Arepas from the Andean region of Colombia are the perfect breakfast or afternoon snack served with a hot cup of coffee or hot chocolate.
These Arepas de Choclo or Chócolo can be a little tricky to make but I have a tip that can help make the preparation relatively easy, and of course the more you make them the better you become at getting them just right. I like to start cooking them on top of the stove and finish them in the oven, this will help prevent them from breaking up. And, it is very important to use very fresh corn for this recipe.
If you decide to do the whole process on the stove top, be sure the pan it is well heated. Since the arepas are pretty delicate, you have to be careful when turning them. Serve them with Colombian Quesito or Queso Fresco.
Salt to tasteQueso fresco or white cheese to serve