Corn and Coconut Soup (Sopa de Chocolo y Coco)
- 5 fresh ears of corn kernels cut off and cobs cut in half
- 4 ½ cups water
- ½ cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large potato peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- 12 shrimp peeled and deveined (optional)
- Cumin to taste
- Paprika to taste
- Olive oil
- In a medium pot over medium heat, place the water, corn kernels and cobs, cilantro, onion, garlic, potato, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and cook for 10 minutes more. Discard the corn cobs, and then puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Transfer the soup back to the pot and bring to a boil, turn the heat off and serve.
- For the shrimp: Rub the shrimp with paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Place in a sauté pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil, cook about 2 minutes on each side and top each bowl of soup with 3 shrimp.
My sister came to visit from Colombia and we are having a great time together. I miss my family a lot, so having her here in my home with us is a blessing. I made this corn and coconut soup for her this week and she loved it. I topped it with shrimp and it was absolutely delicious.
This can be a great vegetarian soup as well, just omit the shrimp. Enjoy!