Corn and Coconut Soup (Sopa de Chocolo y Coco)
- 5 fresh ears of corn kernels cut off and cobs cut in half
- 4 ½ cups water
- ½ cup chopped cilantro plus more for garnish
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large potato peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can coconut milk
- Salt and pepper
- 12 shrimp peeled and deveined (optional)
- Cumin to taste
- Paprika to taste
- Olive oil
- In a medium pot over medium heat, place the water, corn kernels and cobs, cilantro, onion, garlic, potato, cumin, paprika, salt and pepper. Cover and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and cook for 10 minutes more. Discard the corn cobs, and then puree the soup in a blender until smooth. Transfer the soup back to the pot and bring to a boil, turn the heat off and serve.
- For the shrimp: Rub the shrimp with paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Place in a sauté pan with 1 tablespoon olive oil, cook about 2 minutes on each side and top each bowl of soup with 3 shrimp.
Calories: 192kcalCarbohydrates: 12gProtein: 3gFat: 16gSaturated Fat: 14gPolyunsaturated Fat: 1gMonounsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 3mgSodium: 25mgPotassium: 370mgFiber: 3gSugar: 3gVitamin A: 123IUVitamin C: 12mgCalcium: 30mgIron: 2mg
Have you Tried this Recipe? Tag me Today!Mention @mycolombianrecipes and tag #mycolombianrecipes!
My sister came to visit from Colombia and we are having a great time together. I miss my family a lot, so having her here in my home with us is a blessing. I made this corn and coconut soup for her this week and she loved it. I topped it with shrimp and it was absolutely delicious.
This can be a great vegetarian soup as well, just omit the shrimp. Enjoy!
Interesting recipe . I never tried it before but it seems delicious 😀
This looks so hearty and delicious. I love coconut milk in soup!
Yum! I will do the vegetarian version! Maybe I will top it with crisp fried onions. Oo my mouth is watering.
Ooooooh,...Erica!! What a yummie looking soup!!
I love corn & coconut milk together!!
the epicurean's market
Erica, this looks so tasty! This recipe reminds me of corn chowder but WAY WAY better. Can't wait to try it. Love all your recipes.
Sounds like a great combo of ingredients - yum!
I've never used coconut milk in a soup. Actually, I didn't know how to use it in a dish as it's not so common in our cuisine. Your soup looks so warming, thanks for the recipe and the idea of coconut milk.
never thought of combining coconut & corn together! why didn't I? such lovely flavors. i will have to try doing this sometimes.
Ooh, that does sound good. i like the combination of corn, coconut, and shrimp.
Is she cooking anything for you?
Thank you everyone for the comments!
This looks marvelous!
This looks delicious!
Thank you all for visiting my blog 🙂
What a great sounding recipe, I would never have thought of this flavor combination.
I loved this soup! It's very hearty but not heavy and also fancy enough for entertaining.
This one sounds marvelously flavorful, too.
If I wanted to make this with frozen corn (since fresh isn't in season), how much would I need in cups?
Christina- About 5 cups frozen corn.
Hi Erica, just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your recipes. I'm married to a Colombian so whenever I want to make him something special I know I can find it here. I have made several of your soup recipes and this one was particularly enjoyable due to how easy and quick it is for weeknight meals and I just plain love any soup with coconut.
Thanks for your feedback!