Rice and Soup are staples in Colombia and in this Sopa de Arroz con Pollo the rice creates a wonderful consistency. Sopa de Arroz con Pollo was one of my grandmother’s favorite soups. She would eat it with avocado and banana on the side. Colombians eat bananas with soups and believe it or not, it is delicious, try it! This is real comfort food.
Sopa de Arroz con Pollo (Rice and Chicken Soup)
- 8 Chicken thighs or drumsticks
- 7 cups water
- 1 chicken bouillon
- ½ cup aliuños sauce
- 2 diced medium white potatoes
- ½ cup long grain white rice
- ½ cup peas
- ½ cup diced carrots
- ½ cup cilantro
- In a large pot place all the ingredients except the rice and cilantro. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low and simmer for 45 minutes.
- Add the rice and continue simmering for 15- 20 minutes more or until the rice is tender. Remove the chicken from the pot, remove the skin and debone it, breaking the meat into bite sized pieces, and return the meat to the soup.
- Season with salt and pepper. Stir in the cilantro and serve.