My craving for spinach lately is surprising considering I hated spinach so much as a child and didn't eat it as an adult until a couple of years ago. I have to admit, I was anti-spinach, but not anymore!
This soup is a fantastic meatless dish and is full of iron!
Lentil and Spinach Soup (Sopa de Lentejas con Espinacas)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- ½ cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tomatoes finely chopped
- ¼ cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- ¼ cup green pepper, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 ½ cups dried lentils, picked over and rinsed
- 6 cups vegetable broth or water
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups spinach, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- In a medium pot over medium heat, sauté the carrot and onion and cook until the onion is translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, tomatoes, red pepper, green pepper and sauté until the vegetables are soft, about 3 minutes. Add the cumin, chili powder, salt and pepper.
- Add the lentils, the broth and tomato paste, increase the heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer until the lentils are tender about 25 minutes. Add the potatoes and cook for about 10 minutes more.
- Add the spinach and simmer for about 2 minutes more. Season the soup with salt and pepper.
- Serve warm with plain white rice.