This is an easy and delicious meatloaf recipe. Carne Afanada is the Colombian version of meatloaf and the perfect dish for any weeknight meal. The hogao or Colombian style creole sauce is mix with the rest of the ingredients and gives this meatloaf a wonderful flavor.
Carne Afanada (Colombian Meatloaf)
- ½ pound lean ground beef
- ½ pound ground pork
- 2 beaten eggs
- ½ cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- ½ teaspooon ground cumin
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup hogao
- To make the meatloaf: In a large bowl mix the ground beef, ground pork, hogao, bread crumbs, flour, whisked eggs, salt, ground cumin and pepper. Mix well until combined.
- Form a meatloaf and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large ovenproof saucepan and add the sauce ingredients. Cook for about 10 minutes over medium heat. Add the meatloaf to the sauce and cook for 5 minutes on each side.
- Adjust the oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 350°F.
- Transfer the sauce pan with the meatloaf to the oven and cook for about 45 minutes.
- Serve warm with white rice or vegetables on the side.
I receive many emails from readers asking me when I will be posting various Colombian recipes. Lately, Carne Afanada is one of the most requested recipes. Carne Afanada is the Colombian version of meatloaf.
After asking some friends and family about this recipe, I learned that this dish is popular in the El Valle department of Colombia. It is traditionally made with ground beef and cooked on top of the stove, but I put my own twist on the dish and added some ground pork and I started cooking the meatloaf on the stove but finished cooking it in the oven. It is a delicious Colombian dish.