This homemade chicken and alphabet soup is easy to make, delicious and comforting.
My mom made me all sorts of sopas when I was growing up in Medellín and soups made with pasta were on our table once a week. This simple Sopa de Letras con Pollo was one of my favorite soups growing up.
I love to make this chicken soup especially during the fall and winter months or on a cool, rainy day. The alphabet shaped pasta, rather than regular pasta, is a fun addition for both kids and adults.
Ingredients to make this recipe:
You can find the complete chicken and alphabet soup recipe card with measurements below, but here’s a little overview of the ingredients:
Chicken: I like to use bone in chicken breast to make this soup, but feel frees to use chicken tights, boneless breast or legs.
Aliños Sauce: My Colombian seasoning made with onions, garlic, peppers and scallions and spices. (see recipe here).
Spices: Cumin, achiote or sazón with color, salt and pepper.
Chicken broth: I recommend using organic and good quality broth to make soups.
Vegetables: Carrots and peas. You can use fresh or frozen vegetables.
Pasta: Alphabet shaped pasta, you can replace it with any small shaped pasta.
Herbs: Cilantro, if you don't like it. Replace it with fresh parsley.
Chicken and Alphabet Soup Recipe
- 3 chicken breasts with bone
- 1 cup of aliños sauce see recipe here
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground achiote or sazón with color
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup peas fresh or frozen
- ¾ cup alphabet shaped pasta uncooked
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken in a medium pot and add the cumin, achiote, chicken broth, salt, pepper and aliños. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked and tender.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and take the meat off the bone. Discard the bones and set the meat aside.
- Add the carrots, peas, pasta and cilantro to the soup. Cook for about 8 minutes more. Return the chicken to the pot and serve hot.
I find that I love Alphabet and Chicken Soup best when I'm sick and looking for something simple and satisfying, and this Sopa de Letras con Pollo always does the trick. So the next time you feel like a good, comforting bowl of chicken soup, whether you’re feeling under the weather or perfectly healthy, make this recipe.
Homemade Chicken and Alphabet Soup Serving Suggestions
I like to top it with avocado, fresh cilantro and red onion, for a bit of cream and crunch. But honestly, this soup is equally fine on its own. For a complete meal a bowl of this soup is delicious with a simple green salad, my corn and hearts of palm salad, or a purple cabbage and apple salad.
The soup leftovers keep well for up to 4 days in a sealed airtight container in the refrigerator.
More Soup Recipes
If you love this chicken soup recipe, try one of these homemade soups next: