My mom made me all sorts of sopas when I was growing up in Medellín and soups made with pasta were on our table once a week. This simple Sopa de Letras con Pollo was one of my favorite soups growing up. I love to make this soup especially during the fall and winter months or on a cool, rainy day. The alphabet shaped pasta, rather than regular pasta, is a fun addition for both kids and adults!
Sopa de Letras con Pollo (Alphabet and Chicken Soup)
- 3 chicken breasts with bone
- 1 cup of aliños sauce see recipe here
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground achiote or sazón with color
- 7 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 cup peas fresh or frozen
- ¾ cup alphabet shaped pasta uncooked
- ¼ cup finely chopped cilantro
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken in a medium pot and add the cumin, achiote, chicken broth, salt, pepper and aliños. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat to low. Cook for about 30 minutes, until chicken is cooked and tender.
- Remove the chicken from the pot and take the meat off the bone. Discard the bones and set the meat aside.
- Add the carrots, peas, pasta and cilantro to the soup. Cook for about 8 minutes more. Return the chicken to the pot and serve hot.
I find that I love Alphabet and Chicken Soup best when I'm sick and looking for something simple and satisfying, and this Sopa de Letras con Pollo always does the trick. I like to top it with avocado, fresh cilantro and red onion, for a bit of cream and crunch. But honestly, this soup is equally fine on its own.
So the next time you feel like a good, comforting bowl of chicken soup, whether you’re feeling under the weather or perfectly healthy, make this Sopa de Letras con Pollo!