This homemade cauliflower soup is very easy to make, creamy and delicious. Perfect for lunch or a weeknight meal.
I think I’ve mentioned before that I am not a cauliflower fan, but I started the year in a cauliflower recipes testing mood 🙂 Do you remember the mashed cauliflower I made at the beginning of the year? If not, don’t worry here is the recipe. Anyway I made this cauliflower and cheese soup last week for lunch and we loved it.
Cauliflower is the perfect ingredient for a smooth and velvety soup. I guess I am loving cauliflower now.
I like to top this cauliflower soup with crispy potato sticks and red pepper flakes. You can replace the potato sticks with tortilla chips if you prefer. They add a wonderful texture to the soup.
Cauliflower Soup Recipe
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 cups cauliflower florets
- 1 small carrot peeled and diced
- 2 garlic cloves
- ⅓ cup diced onion
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- 6 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and pepper
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup cheddar cheese grated
- ⅓ cup parmesan cheese grated
- Red pepper flakes for garnish
- Melt the butter and olive oil in a medium pot. Add the onion and garlic and cook for about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the carrots and cauliflower florets. Stir well with a wooden spoon.
- Add the broth to the pot and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low. Add the cumin, bay leaf and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook for about 25 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the heat, discard the bay leaf and add the cheese. Stir well with a wooden spoon. Transfer the soup to a blender or using an immersion blender, blend the soup until smooth. Return the soup to the pot and add the cream. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes, season with salt and pepper and divide into serving bowls. Sprinkle red pepper flakes. Serve warm.
Simple Soup Recipes to Try