Crema de Aguacate (Colombian Creamy Avocado Soup)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 ripe avocados peeled and mashed
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- 2 cups heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt and Pepper
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro chopped
- Heat the butter in a medium pot over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds more.
- Add the chicken broth, lime juice and avocados in the sauce pot and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and cook for about 7 minutes.
- Transfer to the blender and blend until smooth. Return the mixture to the pot. Add the heavy cream, cumin, salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add fresh cilantro and serve warm.
The recipe I am sharing with you today is a delicious Colombian soup called Crema de Aguacate (Colombian Creamy Avocado Soup). A mix of avocados, cream, cumin and fresh cilantro give this soup a fantastic flavor. Chicken stock is used as a base for the traditional version of this soup, but if you prefer a vegetarian version, just replace the chicken with vegetable stock.
This soup is a staple in the city of Tumaco located on the Pacific coast of Colombia. I love the simplicity, freshness and delicate avocado flavor of this Colombian Creamy Avocado Soup. It’s perfect for lunch or a quick dinner, and even as an elegant dinner party appetizer with a glass of wine! With cooler autumn weather knocking at the door, it's a great time to try this beautiful soup.
In Colombia and most Latin American countries we have a strong tradition of eating homemade sopas and cremas. So when I crave a soup, I immediately go to my favorite traditional Colombian soups. I was craving a thick and creamy soup last week, so I decided to make this avocado soup and it couldn’t have been easier.
Forget any avocado soup you may have previously tasted. Try this delicious Colombian Creamy Avocado Soup on a cold and cloudy fall or winter day and it may become a staple in your kitchen too. If you like, add some sliced avocado, drizzle with cream, and sprinkle on some fresh cilantro before serving. Better yet, you can add some grilled shrimp, crab meat or scallops to this gorgeous soup. Buen provecho!