This Banana Bread Pudding is a simple and delicious dessert. Perfect to serve during the week or make ahead for a party.
What is Bread Pudding?
Traditional bread pudding is a dessert made with stale bread, a mixture of milk, sugar, and eggs. It can be served warm or cold. It's easy to make and can be made ahead of time. This dessert is versatile and you can add different ingredients and fruits for delicious variations.
I decided to add bananas to my bread pudding recipe and the result was fantastic, this recipe is perfect when you have ripe bananas in your counter and don't want to waste them.
This recipe is a Banana Bread Pudding variation and I know you are going to love it, perfect for those winter days when you have company or when you want a a sweet treat during the week.
What you'll need for this recipe
To make this banana bread pudding you can use any white bread you have at home or for an upgrade brioche is delicious in bread pudding, whole milk, heavy cream, butter, vanilla extract, eggs, cinnamon, sugar and bananas. The exact amounts and cooking instructions are in the recipe card below.
Be sure to use stale bread to make this recipe, but if you don't have it, just place the cubed fresh bread in a baking sheet and bake it at 300 F for about 7 minutes. You can also add raisins, peanuts or chocolate chips to this banana bread pudding recipe if you want. Store in an covered airtight container in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
This dish is very versatile you can serve it for breakfast with a cup of coffee, snack or dessert. I like to serve this banana bread pudding recipe drizzle with warm caramel sauce or dulce de leche on top and one scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side.
Banana Bread Pudding Recipe
- 1 loaf white bread cubed
- 3 cups milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 5 beaten eggs
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 bananas mashed
- If you have fresh bread, place it in a large baking pan and bake in a 300°F oven about 7 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, heavy cream, butter, vanilla, cinnamon, sugar and the beaten eggs and mix well.
- Add bread cubes to milk mixture. Let it stand for approximately 20 minutes or until bread absorbs most of the mixture. Add the mashed banana mix well.
- Pour the bread-pudding mixture into a baking pan. Bake uncovered in a 350° f oven for 1 hour or until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely, then refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
I'm often thinking about an easy dessert that I can whip up when there are no sweets in the house and a craving hits! Well, this banana bread pudding required little time to prepare, was easy to make, and tasted great!
So, if you like bananas and bread pudding, you should not be disappointed with this combination. Doesn't it look warm, comforting and delicious?
More comforting desserts to try: