Sabajón is the Colombian version of eggnog, spiked with Aguardiente (firewater), a strong alcoholic drink made from anise and sugar cane or rum.
What is Sabajón?
It' s the Colombian version of eggnog, spiked with Aguardiente (firewater), a strong alcoholic drink made from anise and sugar cane or rum. I personally prefer it with rum, but feel free to change the rum for Aguardiente if you prefer.
Colombian Sabajón is a creamy, rich and delicious drink popular during the Christmas season, but is also enjoyed throughout the year and at other special celebrations around the country. My mom and aunts usually keep a bottle of Sabajón in the fridge all year-round for unexpected visitors and has been a staple at every family party for as along as I can remember.
This Colombian- Style Eggnog does not use raw eggs, the yolks are cook in low heat until a thick custard is form.
What do yo need to make this Drink
Milk: You need to use whole milk to make this cocktail.
Egg yolks: Use cage free organic eggs.
Sweet condensed milk: It gives amazing flavor, richness and sweetness to this recipe.
Flavor: Vanilla extract and cinnamon.
Sugar: granulated white sugar.
Corn starch: It helps the drink to be thicker and creamier.
Rum: to your taste, I use about 1 cup of rum for mine and my mom uses about 2 cups for hers.
Below you'll find the recipe card with ingredients and cooking instructions.
Colombian Sabajón Recipe
- 6 cups of whole milk
- 6 egg yolks
- 1 can sweet condensed milk
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tbsp corn starch
- Rum to your taste I use about 1 cup of rum for mine and my mom uses about 2 cups for hers.
- Ground cinnamon
- Place 5 cups of the milk with the sugar and vanilla in a pot and bring to a boil, cook on low heat for about 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Place the rest of the milk, egg yolks, corn starch and the condensed milk in a blender. Blend until well combined.
- Add the egg yolk mixture slowly to the milk and stir well. Continue over low heat and simmer, stirring often, until slightly thickened, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let it cool. Strain the mixture through a sieve and pour into a serving pitcher.
- Cool down completely and stir in the rum or aguardiente. Add more milk if necessary.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve. Serve the eggnog in glasses, sprinkle with ground cinnamon.
I’m not much of a drinker, but this is one my favorite alcoholic drinks. Here is my mom's easy Sabajón Colombiano recipe that is totally painless to make and absolutely delicious.
More Cocktails Recipes to make:
Orange Cocktail (Aguardiente Sour)
The sweetness of the condense milk I am sure make this irrestible!
Thanks ! Erica I 've always wondered how to make this wonderful cocktail from Colombia. It reminds me Christmas time at home .My Dad used to bring it over for the holidays.It's so unique !
It sounds very good although we don't drink alcohol, I could drink some of this.
You say to add condensed milk but it's not in the ingredients list. How much?
It is true. In the Spanish version says 1 can of condense milk in the list of ingredients. But in the English version this ingredient is missing since the begining.
I updated the recipe.
Bring me that 'Mama Mia' eggnog !
Dashing off to the kitchen to make it right now 🙂
Sounds amazin, I will enjoy a glas and to your mother's health!
so decadent! corn starch is a magical thickener, and i love the cinnamon sprinkled on top!
Me encanta el sabajón, pero siempre que le pongo la leche condensada se me corta (?). Yo tengo la receta de mi abuela y me queda riquísimo, tengo que hacerla "fijo" para año nuevo.
I'm going to try it soon recuerdo mi ninez
Yum! I have some aguardiente now, although I've never sipped aguardiente. I've only drank it in shots. I remember being 14 and in Calarca when the soccer team won a game and there were people with handles of aguardiente around their necks and passing out shots to everyone. Good times! I miss Colombia so much!
How long will this keep in the fridge?
Hola, cuanto tiempo se puede dejar en la nevera?
I use a simpler, more potent version:
1. Mix and bring to a boil 1 can comdensed milk, 2 cans whole milk and 4 egg yolks.
2. Remove from heat and add 1 can rum or brandy.
3. Serve chilled.
Hi! You mention condensed milk in the recipe but it is not in the ingredient list? Can you explain, please?
You can add it as a topping. It's optional.
how much of the sweetened condensed milk? i don't see it in the ingredient list.
That is optional. You can drizzle it to your own taste.
Hello, what brand of rum do you use?