Bananos Calados is an easy and quick dessert to make. It doesn't require a lot of ingredients and it's delicious served with whipped cream or ice cream on top.
What are Bananos Calados?
They are also known as Bananos Fritos (Fried Bananas) in Colombia. It's a simple and delicious dish that can be served as a dessert, snack or appetizer. It's made with bananas, butter, brown sugar and spices. Some people like to add rum to the sauce, I didn't add it to this recipe, but feel free to add it if you like rum flavor.
This dish It takes just 20 minutes to make and it’s easy to scale up for a big crowd or down for just a serving or two, and customize with your favorite toppings. It's a wonderful and simple recipe.
Ingredients to make Bananos Calados
Bananas: In Colombia we use small bananas (murrapos), because they have more flavor than big bananas, but I don't find them easy here in the United Sates. I recommend using firm regular bananas for this recipe. Very ripe bananas will be very mushy to cook with the syrup.
Butter: I recommend using a good quality unsalted butter.
Brown sugar: I prefer using dark brown sugar for this recipe, but light brown sugar will work too.
Orange: Fresh orange zest and orange juice.
Cinnamon: I prefer using cinnamon sticks, but you can use ground cinnamon.
The exact ingredients amounts and directions are in the recipe card below.
Bananos Calados (Colombian-Style Fried Bananas)
- 4 small bananas firm with no spots and peeled
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
- ½ cup fresh orange juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
- Cut the bananas in half crosswise.
- In a large nonstick pan over medium heat. Add the butter and cook for 1 minute. Add the bananas, brown sugar, water and cinnamon stick. Cook the bananas, turning constantly during 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to medium low. Add the orange juice and orange peel and cook 5 more minutes, discard cinnamon stick and serve with vanilla ice cream.
This delicious, Bananos Calados dessert will make the perfect finale to any Colombian meal. It can be serve cold, but it's best served warm over vanilla ice cream or a dollop of whipped cream on top.
More Recipes to make with Bananas