Polvorosas are Colombian sugar and butter cookies easy to make and delicious. This recipe only requires 5 ingredients.
Polvorosas (Colombian Butter and Sugar Cookies)
- 1 ½ cups of unsalted butter 3 sticks
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- ½ cup powder sugar
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- To clarify the butter: Place the unsalted butter in a medium pot over low heat, until it is melted.
- Let it simmer until the foam goes to the top of the melted butter.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let stand for about 5 minutes.
- Skim the foam from the top and discard. Pour it into a bowl using a fine mesh strainer.
- With an electric mixer, beat the butter for about 3 minutes. Add the sugar,vanilla and beat until well blended. Add the flour, and continue beating for 2 minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball. Wrap in plastic and place in the fridge for about 30 minutes.
- Roll 2 tablespoons of dough between your palms into balls. Place the balls on a large greased baking sheet about ½-inch apart. Flatten the balls using your hands.
- Bake the cookies until golden on top, about 15 minutes. Let them cool for about 5 minutes on the baking sheet. Dust the cookies with the powdered sugar.
- I recommend using a nice quality butter to make this polvorosas
- Allow this Colombian cookies to cool before storing them.
- The cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature.
I love making these Colombian cookies because they are very simple to make and they don't require cookie cutters or any fancy tools 🙂 They are also crumbly and buttery perfect served with a glass of milk , cup of black Colombian coffee or a cup of tea. The name Polvorosas comes from the word Polvo in Spanish, which translates to powder in English.
Polvorosas are a great treat to make with your kids. I made these cookies with my mom and my siblings while growing up in Colombia and now I make them with my son. He loves rolling the cookies in the powdered sugar! I hope you enjoy making, and eating, these Polvorosas as much as we do!
More Colombian cookies recipes that you may want to try: