Suspiros are also known as Meringue Cookies. They don't required a lot of ingredients and are very easy to make.
The other day I used some egg yolks in a recipe. Normally, when I make a dish using just the yolks, I am at a loss for what to do with the whites, so I waste them. This time, however, I decided to make meringue cookies, one of my favorite cookies as a child. They were simple to make and delicious.
Meringue Cookies Recipe
- 3 Large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and vanilla until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and beat for about 1 minute more, being sure not to overbeat.
- Add the sugar slowly. Continue beating and adding remaining sugar in batches, until all of the sugar is dissolved and the meringue is glossy.
- Transfer mixture to a pastry bag or large zip-top bag fitted with large round tip. Pipe into 2-inch spirals on prepared baking sheet, leaving 1-inch of space between cookies. Place baking sheets in the preheated oven and turn the oven off. Leave the cookies undisturbed in the oven for at least 2 hours, or until cookies are crisp and dry.
More Cookies Recipes to Try
Dulce de Leche Thumbprint Cookies
Alfajores (Dulce de Leche Cookie Sandwich)
They look lovely.
lovely merringes I am crap at these he he
I adore home made meringues! I bet you have eaten them all by now? How could you not!
Your meringues look lovely!!!!!
Thank you all for the comments!
Jenn AKA The Leftover Queen
I love meringues! Yours look lovely.
those look beautiful! this would be something fun to make for Christmas 🙂 oooor....maybe for halloween, as little ghosts
I am guilty of not coming by for sometime:-( I have never made meringue before becoz i never dared to. you make it sound pretty easy & this is giving me some courage.
Thank you everyone for visiting my blog 🙂
are they coombian??
They are very popular in Colombia, but I don't know the origin of meringue:)
That a great idea, I always keep the whites of the egg in the fridge until it's spoiled.
I love meringues and have been wanting to make some of the flavored ones, but have just not gotten around to it. Another inspiration
it does not take 2 hours it takes more like 25 min. i burnt them im really mad about that 🙁 :(:(:(:(:(
Maya-You have to leave the meringues in the oven for 2 hours with the oven OFF. Sorry you did not understand the step!
I made these cookies yesterday and they are delicious.
Very good and easy recipe, but how much sugar?