Suspiros are also known as Meringue Cookies. They don't required a lot of ingredients and are very easy to make.
The other day I used some egg yolks in a recipe. Normally, when I make a dish using just the yolks, I am at a loss for what to do with the whites, so I waste them. This time, however, I decided to make meringue cookies, one of my favorite cookies as a child. They were simple to make and delicious.
Meringue Cookies Recipe
- 3 Large egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon cream of tartar
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper. In a large bowl using an electric mixer, beat the egg whites and vanilla until foamy.
- Add the cream of tartar and beat for about 1 minute more, being sure not to overbeat.
- Add the sugar slowly. Continue beating and adding remaining sugar in batches, until all of the sugar is dissolved and the meringue is glossy.
- Transfer mixture to a pastry bag or large zip-top bag fitted with large round tip. Pipe into 2-inch spirals on prepared baking sheet, leaving 1-inch of space between cookies. Place baking sheets in the preheated oven and turn the oven off. Leave the cookies undisturbed in the oven for at least 2 hours, or until cookies are crisp and dry.
More Cookies Recipes to Try