Dulce de Leche Thumbprint Cookies
- ½ cup of butter or 1 stick at room temperature
- ¼ cup of sugar
- 1 large eggs at room temperature
- ¼ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup of all purpose flour
- ½ cup of homemade or store bought dulce de leche or arequipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together butter and sugar on medium speed until light and fluffy, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add the egg, vanilla extract and salt until combined. Lower the speed of the mixer to low and add all-purpose flour in two additions.
- Form the dough into 12 balls. Place the balls of dough on prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart. Using the round part of a ¼-teaspoon measure, make a deep indentation in each ball.
- Bake the cookies until firm to the touch and golden on the bottom, about 10 minutes.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheets for 5 minutes, then transfer and cool on wire cooling rack.
- When ready to serve, fill the indentations with dulce de leche or arequipe.
"Arequipe"… I can’t think of a word that makes me happier!
I always have one open jar of Dulce de Leche, or Arequipe, sitting in my refrigerator and a couple spares in my pantry!
I was thinking of what to make with them recently and I didn't want to make Alfajores, milkshakes, crepes, cocadas or cakes again, and I wanted to do more than just eat it straight out of the jar, like I always do. I wanted to make something different and that my family would enjoy, so I decided to make Dulce de Leche Thumbprint Cookies.
These cookies are buttery, sweet and absolutely delicious! I think these cookies are definitely my new favorite way to enjoy Arequipe!