Cocadas de Arequipe (Dulce de Leche and Coconut Bars)
- Cooking spray
- 5 cups sweetened shredded coconut
- 1 cup arequipe or dulce de leche
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray an 8 by 8-inch baking dish with cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl mix the coconut and dulce de leche until well combined.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Wet your fingers and lightly press the mixture evenly into the pan.
- Bake for about 20 to 25 minutes, until very lightly browned.
- Cool for at least 1 hour before cutting into squares. Serve at room temperature.
Do you love Dulce de Leche and Coconut? Then allow me to introduce you to a delicious dessert, Cocadas de Arequipe. It's simple and easy to make and an absolutely wonderful.
The aromas in the kitchen were making me so hungry when I was cooking these cocadas, that I just could not wait to eat them. When they finally cooled, I quickly cut myself a piece and bit into it. It was a piece of heaven in my mouth!
These are sensational - such a satisfying treat. I think I could eat all 12 of them.
Hol...y...are these serious questions?? Uh, YEAH??? I am soooooo going to make this.
Looks like the coconut cookies we have during the Lunar New Year season, as the festive goodies 🙂
We have something similar in Mexico, but I love the dulce de leche on this ones.
What an incredibly delicious treat - I'm sure they did smell wonderful cooking!! but tasted even better when eaten!
two ingredients, and they happen to be two of my favorite! awesome concoction, erica!
Jamie @ Cookin' with Moxie
This recipe only calls for 2 ingredients? I'm sold! Maybe that's because those two ingredients happen to be some of my favorite sweets in the world?
Would it be ok to use regular (non-sweetened) shredded coconut, since the arequipe is already super-sweet?
Cristina, You can use non-sweetened coconut, but cocadas are usually very sweet.
Thank you guys!
Hey, I was going to make the version with condensed milk, but found the dulce de leche first. I made these and my husband was blown away. He now wants to move to Columbia.
Hi Erica, I made these today and they were so good. Thanks for the recipe!
Is there a specific time you eat this dish? I’m making this recipe for a school project.
It's a dessert.