Clafoutis is a delicious French baked dessert that is a cross between a cake and custard. This desert is so delicious and simple to make, that I decided to make it using one of my favorite fruits, strawberries. It turned out great and I will definately be making it again.
It makes a wonderful breakfast too, warm or cold.
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 ½ cups strawberries
- 3 eggs, at room temperature
- ⅓ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup whole milk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch salt
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- Make the batter: Sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs, milk and heavy cream until well blended. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an oval oven-proof dish or individual dishes, with the butter. Sprinkle the bottom and sides with sugar.
- Place the strawberries in the oven-proof dish. Pour the batter over the strawberries and place in the oven.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the custard is firm. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve the clafoutis warm with a scoop of ice cream.