Cherry Clafoutis is a simple, but elegant dessert. You can make clafoutis with any seasonal fruit.
- 1 tablespoon butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup sugar plus more for the baking dish
- 2 eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup cherries pitted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup all purpose flour
- Pinch salt
- Vanilla ice cream for serving
- Make the batter: Sift the flour, sugar, and salt into a bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk the eggs and heavy cream until well blended. Add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an oval oven-proof dish or individual dishes, with the butter. Sprinkle the bottom and sides with sugar.
- Place the cherries in the oven-proof dish. Pour the batter over the cherries and place in the oven.
- Bake for 30 to 40 minutes or until the custard is firm. Remove from the oven and cool for 5 minutes before serving. Serve the clafoutis warm with a scoop of ice cream.
Clafoutis is a delicious French baked dessert that is a cross between a cake and custard, and is perfect for summer. Traditional clafoutis are made using cherries with their pits still in, which are supposed to add more flavor to the dish. In this recipe the pits are removed, making this dessert easier to eat, but you can do it either way. There are many variations of clafoutis using different fruits, depending on the recipe, and this one is my recipe for you guys.
The clafoutis is best served warm with a dusting of powdered sugar and vanilla ice cream on the side.