Steak with Chimichurri Sauce is a wonderful and easy meal. Perfect for a barbecue, dinner party or lunch.
What is Chimichurri?
It is a traditional Argentinean sauce made with fresh herbs, spices, oil and vinegar, there are different variations in South America. In Colombia we add cilantro and scallions to the chimichurri. This sauce is usually served with grilled meats, but it's also delicious as a marinade, in sandwiches, on top of vegetables, fish and poultry.
You can keep this sauce refrigerated in a sealed container for up to a week. I used flank steak to make this steak with chimichurri recipe, but skirt steak and sirloin will be good options.
Steak with Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds flank steak trimmed
- Juice of ½ lime
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon mustard
- 1 garlic clove peeled
- 1 ½ cups fresh parsley
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ cup chopped green onions
- ¼ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper to your taste
- Combine 2 tablespoons olive, ½ teaspoon salt, ½ teaspoon pepper, ½ tablespoon ground cumin and ½ teaspoon mustard in a small bowl, mix well. Rub the steak with the marinade and place in a large bag. Seal and refrigerate for a least 3 hours or overnight.
- To prepare steak: Remove steak from marinade bag and remove as much of the marinade as possible. Discard remaining marinade. Place the steak on the preheated grill and cook 5 minutes on each side for medium doneness or cook until desired degree of doneness.
- To prepare chimichurri: Place all the chimichurri ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a container.
- Remove from grill and allow the steak to rest for 10 minutes. Slice the steak against the grain and top with chimichurri sauce.
More recipes to make with Chimichurri sauce: