Ensalada Rusa or Russian Salad is a very popular dish in Colombia and other South American countries. I remember that we always ate this delicious potato salad as an accompaniment to the famous Pork Pernil that my grandmother used to make, at almost all my family's parties in Colombia. My husband hates potato salads, which is why I've never made Russian Salad for him before. I recently made it for the blog and he loved it so much that he asked me to make it again a week later for a family party. To my surprise, everyone at the party wanted the recipe because they loved it too. They all said it was very different from the potato salads they are used to eating here in the States. There are many variations of this salad in Colombian, but this is the way my aunt makes it and it is delicious.
Ensalada Rusa (Russian Salad)
- 6 large peeled potatoes cooked and diced
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup diced and cooked carrots
- 1 cup cooked peas
- ¼ cup creme fraiche or crema de leche
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup grated onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh cilantro or parsley
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon paprika
- Juice of ½ lime
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, creme fraiche, lime juice, salt, pepper and cumin. Set aside.
- Place the potatoes in a large bowl, add the onions, carrots, peas and cilantro. Add the mayonnaise mixture and toss well. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve cold or at room temperature.